dropped connection
  • From: Scheme Loh <schemebot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:02:48 -0800 (PST)
I have a telocity ADSL line here in Atlanta, Georgia.

It's a $50/mo "consumer" but you get a static IP and
they let you run servers, and even a DNS name if you
want.

I have an ADSL modem or whatever. It converts the
phone signal into ethernet.

I have a Compaq Presario PII266 with three ethernet
cards in it. One goes to the ADSL modem. One goes to
the internal lan, and one goes to a DMZ.

All the connections stay up, except I lose the ability
to ping the gateway every two or three days. I reboot
the Compaq, and all is well again. The internal
network and DMZ server are fine and usually always up.

How can I troubleshoot where/why I lose this
connection, and what can I do to either fix it or
workaround it?

I'm starting to run a prototype non-crucial Cold
Fusion server off it, but I'd still like it to be up
as much as possible.

1. The Compaq is a "consumer" unit and does not want
to do things for days and weeks and months on end.

2. The ADSL resets something every so often and I'm
failing to survive this. It's a static IP, not DHCP.

3. The installed Linksys ethernet cards are acting
flaky. Maybe switch to a premium Intel or 3com model
for the ADSL?

Can I trace something or set-up a ping or something to
determine when/why I'm losing this connection?

What about an inefficient kludge method, like
rebooting the server with a script every 12 hours or
so?

Ideas?

Thanks!

=====