slow 7.2 Samba
Hi everyone.

We run a school of 150 students roughly divided into 10 groups of 15 who
share 10 w98 clients from a 7.2 PII/300 server. We have a rw /home/students
directory on the server where all the stuff, typically word 97 files, are
stored centrally for checking under subdirectories for each class.

The system is getting slower, presumably as the disk fills up with files. We
used to be able to run Star Office on the server for example during class
time under KDE, but now it has to sit there in console mode. We don't want to
backup since we want to use the material we produced earlier on in the course.

We can't afford to employ a systems administrator and so take it in turns to
be 'root'. Can anyone who has read the Samba manual help us on this one? It's
just that I seem to be having more than my fair share of being root at the
moment ;)

Thanks, Steve.