minimal suse install on low-mem laptop
  • From: John Grant <jmgrant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 09:43:45 -0800
I'm planning to install some flavor of linux on an old Toshiba 425CDT
laptop. This laptop has "only" 8M RAM, so a normal SuSE install seems
to be not possible. I can get the system to boot off a floppy, but I
get errors from Yast (any version) when it tries to do it's thing, most
likely due to low memory.

All I need is a minimal install. The laptop is going to be used as a
data-gathering and monitoring system for a weather station and solar
power generator. It'll be attached to a LAN and be running a web server
and some custom cgi (perl) scripts. At this point I'm not even sure if
I'll be putting X on it, though I might run Perl/Tk scripts on it with
the gui/windows on another computer over the LAN.

So anyway, is there an easy way to get a -minimal- (kernel, networking,
and rpm for apache & perl) SuSE on this computer? I have CDs for 7.1
and 6.1, and I guess I could hack something together easily enough from
them to get the job done. I'm just wondering if it might be easier
still to start with another distro in the first place. Anyone done this
sort of thing before? Any suggestions?

TIA,

-John