Re: [SLE] Anyone using Red Carpet with SuSE?
  • From: Jamie O'Shaughnessy <jamie.oshaughnessy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 18:03:23 +0000 (GMT)
On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, James Oakley wrote:

> YOU has never failed on me and it usually makes the right decisions. If I
> want to override something, it lets me.

Yes, I've found YOU has saved me a lot of time and I like it. Pity it
doesn't work for the optional updates (KDE, GNOME, etc.)

> I also have trouble trusting Ximian with libraries that a lot of packages in
> SuSE depend on...

Well, this is a concern.

> After all of that, the amount of available software is miniscule. You have
> your choice of:
>
> - GNOME (well duh)
> - Loki demos (big deal, loki_update works much better and can flip mirrors on
> the fly)
> - StarOffice (Hmm, it's already in SuSE...)
> - Updates (not nearly as comprehensive and up-to-date as YOU)

Yes, I wasn't expecting a great deal. In fact my only interest in it was
for Gnome. Ximian's build of Gnome includes the Palm Pilot support and
they are much more upto date with things like Galeon, Evolution, etc. than
SuSE. As I'm mainly a Gnome user, I thought it may be worth the effort to
try Red Carpet for dealing with my Gnome stuff.

> Some people (ie: GNOME users) may like it and won't have any dependency
> troubles if they simply don't use certain non-GNOME software. Personally, I
> feel more comfortable getting stuff from SuSE, than from Ximian, who does the
> SuSE stuff as an afterthought.

Yes, I'd prefer it if I could get the same things from SuSE. I reckon what
SuSE should do is develop YOU to be a more complete tool, do much more
regular updates of their packages (between distribution versions) and then
charge an annual fee for access to such non-essential (i.e. more than
current YOU does) updates. I'd pay an annual charge for this and it
wouldn't force users to do it, just an optional extra (and would be
another revenue stream for SuSE).

Jamie
--
Jamie O'Shaughnessy jamie.oshaughnessy@xxxxxxxxxxxx