Re: [SLE] Anyone using Red Carpet with SuSE?
  • From: James Oakley <joakley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 10:01:27 -0400
On November 1, 2001 06:32 pm, Jamie O'Shaughnessy wrote:
> Is anyone using Ximian's Red Carpet with SuSE? Any good?

I couldn't stand it. I tried it a couple of weeks ago in the hopes of finding
something good.

It likes to stick it's nose where it doesn't belong and tries to 'update'
packages that need no updating, even when I specifically tell it to leave it
alone. For some reason they like it when their name appears throughout the
RPM DB.

Of course, I should also mention that it trashed my RPM database. A simple
'rpm --rebuilddb' fixed it but it shouldn't have happened.

YOU has never failed on me and it usually makes the right decisions. If I
want to override something, it lets me.

I also have trouble trusting Ximian with libraries that a lot of packages in
SuSE depend on...

After all of that, the amount of available software is miniscule. You have
your choice of:

- GNOME (well duh)
- Loki demos (big deal, loki_update works much better and can flip mirrors on
the fly)
- StarOffice (Hmm, it's already in SuSE...)
- Updates (not nearly as comprehensive and up-to-date as YOU)

Some people (ie: GNOME users) may like it and won't have any dependency
troubles if they simply don't use certain non-GNOME software. Personally, I
feel more comfortable getting stuff from SuSE, than from Ximian, who does the
SuSE stuff as an afterthought.

--
James Oakley
Engineering - SolutionInc Ltd.