Re: [SLE] 2.4.14 VM fixes.
  • From: Herman Knief <herman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 19:33:52 -0800
Why the hell is everyone so concerned about the use of some swap space?
Is the computer thrashing the disk? Has performance dropped to an
unbearable level? Just because the system reports that some swap has
been used or allocated, does not mean that the swap space is active -
Have you looked at vmstat? Like many things on Linux, once a resource
is allocated, it is not free'd... it just remains allocated. If the the
system was thrashing the disk, then I would say there was some cause for
concern. Quite frankly, with the VM that was used from 2.4.0 to 2.4.9,
I was alsways a bit concerned about the apparent lack of swap use, as
once the real memory was consumed the system would become unuseable as
it thrashed to try and find resources. The OOM Killer is a great
concept.. unfortunately, it doesn't work. I personally, much prefer
the model of 2.2.x, unfortunately I need some of the features of 2.4, so
I welcome the VM rework that has been done in 2.4.20, and from the
testing I've done on heavily used NFS servers, it is much more stable...
even if it does claim some swap has been used with free memory left.

Of course this is just my opinion...

-Herman