SOLVED! Blank monitor after switching between virtual consoles
  • From: dep <dep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 00:42:22 -0500
On Wednesday 31 October 2001 21:28, Jon Pennington wrote:

| The first thing that comes to mind is the kernel configuration,
| actually. Had your kernel been built with no frame buffer support
| but only the standard 386/VGA console, I don't think this would be
| an issue. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the solution is to
| disable MGA framebuffer support altogether.

bingo! right answer! they had framebuffer support enabled in the
kernel configuration for some insane reason. burning a kernel without
it solved the problem. (this is gonna make life *really* interesting
for people with g-400 cards who decide 7.3 is the time to give suse a
try. what a friggin' disaster.)

while i was at it, i grabbed the mantel 2.4.13 and built an athlon
kernel that -- gulp -- works!
--
dep

There is sobbing of the strong,