Re: [SLE] mass storage device for backup
  • From: Lourens Steenkamp <l_steenkamp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:14:14 +0200
On Sat, 27 Oct 2001 15:02:53 +0200
Hello Cliff from Lourens:

" Hello,
" I am looking at the feasibility of various backup
" devices for use with Linux. It would prefereably
" work out of the box with Linux.
"
" I have eliminated ZIP drives, they are ridiculously
" over-priced (at least in Holland) and 250 MB is not
" big enough.
" I have CD/RW and could use that I suppose but it's
" a bit of a fiddle.
" Dat would be ok, but the devices are expensive,
" although at tapes are cheap.
" DLT woud be out of my price range, and way over-kill.
"
" Any other ideas or devices ?
" I have both spare SCSI and USB capacity on one of
" my networked systems. And parallel port capacity on
" all of them. I would rather not look at IDE devices
" (this is more to do with what I do with my systems
" than anything philosophical).
"
" What capacity I hear you cry ! Say around 1gig+,
" compressed.
"
" And don't suggest LS120 :)
"

"You and me both", for home use I imagine.
Currently, I use a removeable IDE hdd because hdd's are so cheap
I am told that LG have just released an "affordable" combination DVD/CD
writer in this country and I am going to look at their site for some
more info. I believe that the model number is DAD-8020B.
http://www.lge.com/c_product/catalog/product_information.jsp?mdl_pfx=4CDES&mdl_cod=DAD-8020B&mdl_mak=1&navigation=1,18,4

I do not know if/how Linux will handle this - any comments anyone??

Bye.

***

If you find a solution and become attached to it,
the solution may become your next problem.

***