Re: [SLE] Paper size in the U.S. of A.
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 13:28:24 -0400
On Sunday 21 October 2001 11:45, Mads Martin Joergensen wrote:
> * Steven T. Hatton <hattons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [Oct 21. 2001 17:40]:
> > I am once again frustrated with printing. It seems as if something has
> > gone wrong with the paper size or margin settings related to ghostscript.
> > I believe the problem is related to the postscript files I create
> > locally as opposed to those I download from, for example, www.w3c.org.
> > If I do something such as 'enscript rfc3104.txt -o rfc3104.ps;gv
> > rfc3104.ps &' I see that the created postscript file has a very small
> > left margin.
> >
> > I've discovered that most of the default setting on my box are for A4
> > paper size. I'm in the US and for reasons beyond my control I am forced
> > to conform to standards which are inconsistent with the rest of the
> > world. Nonetheless, I would like to be able to print without having to
> > read (or write) a thesis paper on postscript. the files I've discovered
> > with a default A4 papersize are:
> >
> > /etc/a2ps-site.cfg
> > /etc/enscript.cfg
> > /usr/share/ghostscript/6.51/lib/gs_init.ps
> >
> > changing the papersize to Letterdj or letter in these does not seem to
> > fix the problem. I can't seem to identify the configuration setting to
> > correct this problem. Does anybody know what the problem is, or how I
> > can fix it?
>
> In /etc/rc.config there is an entry called GROFF_PAGESIZE. If you put
> that to letter, and run SuSEconfig, does that help?

That didn't seem to correct the problem. I have found something that *seems*
instructive. It is the result of the following:

enscript -B -j -MLetter rfc3104.txt -o rfc3104.ps
psbook rfc3104.ps | psnup -2 -pletter -m.5cm -d > book.ps
gv book.ps

What I see in gv is a symmetrically displayed set of nested boxes. When I
print it, the lefthand outer box is 'squished' so that its lefthand edge is
moved to the right. The inner lefthand box does not get squished. Instead,
if I change the -m to .25, the inner box is truncated. I believe the problem
is exhibited by this behavior. I may be able to play with the settings in
enscript to get it to shift to the right a bit. That will probably fix my
immediate problem. Perhaps doing the same with the enscript config file will
solve most of my other problems. I'm almost certain this is one of those
deskjet related problems. The next printer I buy will be a color laserjet.
It may cost a bunch, but the time I save will be worth the expense.

--
Open Source Software depends on your support.
If you use it, be sure to give something back.