Re: [SLE] MySQL files
  • From: Scott Courtney <courtney@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 20:23:50 -0400
On Sunday 30 September 2001 01:38 pm, Lenz Grimmer wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Scott Courtney wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 September 2001 10:24 pm, Scott Courtney wrote:
> > > By default, /usr/local/var/{database-name} is the directory. MySQL
> > > itself has a "database" called, appropriately enough, "mysql", which
> > > contains all of the global settings and permissions. It is in
> > > /usr/local/var/mysql by default.
> >
> > I need to clarify...this directory is the "default" if you build MySQL
> > from source, as I did. Apparently (according to other people's posts)
> > SuSE moved it in their distro. (Not that I have any problem with that,
> > but the info I provided in the above message differs because of what we
> > mean by "default".)
>
> /usr/local is the default path for most packages you compile from source.
> However, /usr/local is (as the name implies) for local use only and should
> be left alone by the packages shipped with the distribution. That's why
> I moved them to /var/lib/mysql (similar to where the original MySQL RPMs
> locate their files). See the File System Hierarchy Standard (FHS) for more
> info about the location of files.

A very good point, and thank you for the additional clarification. As I said
in my post, I don't object that SuSE moved the location, but I appreciate the
new understanding of why you did so. :-) I should have realized this, and I
feel a little embarrassed that the thought didn't occur to me.

I'm a relatively recent convert to SuSE (from another, very good, distro,
switching mainly because I now work for a company that uses SuSE on S/390).
So far I have been *extremely* pleased with this distro. You folks do a
magnificent job with both the initial installation process and with the
updates. And the documentation is the best I have seen.

> > MySQL version here is 3.23.33, in case the MySQL folks have changed it
> > since.
>
> No, this is still the case.

Again, thanks for the additional info. Being not a distro builder myself, I'm
used to thinking of /usr/local as a place where I *should* put things rather
than as a place I should *not* put things. Thanks for broadening my viewpoint.

Kind regards,

Scott

--
Scott Courtney | "I don't mind Microsoft making money. I mind them