100T IDE Tape Drive
  • From: Robert Barish <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 17:12:11 -0700
Good Day All:
I have installed a tape drive to perform backups. When I go into /proc/ide,
I find the tape drive labeled as hdb. So I see the system is seeing the
tape drive.

Now my question is, what steps do i need to take to run the following
command: mke2fs -cv /dev/hdb Now when I run the command I get the message:

mke2fs 1.19, 13-Jul-2000 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
dev/hdb is entire device, not just one partition!
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
mke2fs: Device size reported to be zero. Invalid partition
specified, or partition table wasn't reread after running fdisk,
due to a modified partition being busy and in use. You may need
to reboot to re-read your partition table.

And when I run: fdisk /dev/hdb I get the message:
Unable to read /dev/hdb
So how can I get this to work? I thought the process would be just like
anding another hard drive!

Also how do I configure the tape drive to be mounted everytime the system
boots. I am assuming I have to modify /etc/fstab with something like

/dev/hdb /mnt/tape ext2 defaults 1 1
[This is after I create a mount point by cd /mnt, mkdir tape]

Is this correct?

THT
bob