Re: [SLE] SuSE Support of Adaptec AIC7XXX Driver
  • From: "Rafael E. Herrera" <raffo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 13:26:54 -0400 (EDT)
Hello,

I have one of those motherboards, the SUPER P6SBS. My system is mainly
scsi based. I attach external devices to it, a CD-R and a tape drive.

If I stick to internal devices and only ONE external device, the aic7xxx
driver works fine. If I attach both external devices I get scsi bus
resets, etc. when I rip CDs.

If I use aic7xxx_old, I can use both external devices at the same time.

I perform backups using the tape drive, I've not had problems with that.

I contacted the driver mantainer a while back, he suggested me to check my
cables, terminations, etc. I did that and still had problems. He indicated
his driver tried to get the most performance out of the scsi adapter, and
possibly this mobo had low margins of tolerance. In any case, indeed my
setting was close to the limits in the length of the scsi bus allowed, 3
meters.

In summary, both drivers work if you stick to internal devices only
(optionally one external). Revert to the old driver otherwise.

If you have not bought it yet, reconsider bying it, I think this board is
obsolete. It supports only PIIIs Slot 1 with 100Mz front side bus (FSB).
The fastest CPU you can use with it is the 1GHz PIII at 100MHz FSB only
after the board has been refurbished by Supermicro. I would suggest you
get all the info about this mobo model before buying.

Rafael

< Previous Next >