Re: [SLE] Upgrade Advice
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 11:54:37 -0400
On Saturday 25 August 2001 11:47 am, David C. Johanson wrote:
> Running 2.4.0-4GB
>
> Only reason was on the advice of tech support guy who said that
> upgrading to the 2.4.5 kernel solves a LOT of USB issues including one
> with netscape. Currently, when I try to print from within either
> netscape or netscape mail I get an unrecognized printer error. My
> printer is an USB Epson Stylus Photo 1270. Neither lpr, or any of the
> following suggestions: lpr -P epson,WINEPS | lpr epson,WINEPS | lpr -P
> "epson,WINEPS" work. For printing in CorelOffice 2000 my printer is
> setup as simply: epson,WINEPS and everything prints, color and B&W.
>
> All I really want to do is to be able to print from within netscape. Any
> suggestions in lieu of a kernel upgrade certainly appreciated although
> I'm not against upgrading the kernel; however, I also don't want to
> upset a functioning box in the process. ;-)
>
> tnx,
>
> dave

I would be glad to walk you through a kernel upgrade... and if it's done
right, you'll be able to boot either your current kernel or the new kernel
when you are done.... That should eliminate any worries about ruining your
current system.

But my methods are from scratch, using the kernels from www.kernel.org.
Maybe someone else on the list can tell you how to do it more easily.

My way is a good learning exercise... but would take longer than using the
RPM's from SuSE. However, even using the RPM's, you want to protect yourself
by being able to boot the old and the new kernels.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 08/25/01 11:50 +
"You might be a high-tech Red-neck if:
your wrist watch has more computing power than a 486DX-50"