Re: [SLE] Use of Linux
  • From: Rachel Greenham <rachel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:56:01 +0100

James Oakley wrote:

I'd like to add something here:

I often see people that have su'ed in a terminal type xhost + to allow root to access your display (to run GUI programs). DON'T DO THAT. It allows everyone to access your display, including remote machines.

SuSE made a happy little script called sux that let's the user you're su'ing to access the display in a secure manner. You also don't have to export DISPLAY or xhost or anything. Just run your app.

I now always use 'sux -' to do root stuff in X, whether I'll be running a GUI app or not.

There's also X forwarding in openssh, which is especially appropriate when running stuff on other machines, but I don't expect there's any reason why you can't use it locally as well.

ie: ssh -X <user>@<host.domain>
then run your X apps.

--
Rachel