PPP Setup Problem
  • From: "David C. Johanson" <dcjohan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 21:57:55 -0400
I now have SuSE 7.1 up and running well but am having difficulty getting
ppp to work.

Here is the setup - it may be in error

My local ISP is erols
they provide a dynamic connection, thus no fixed IP address
under windows I use -
Server name = pop.erols.com
type = pop3 server
name = dcjohan
password
outgoing mail = smtp.erols.com
outgoing mail name = dcjohan@xxxxxxxxx

I'm trying to setup using the yast2 wizard

ISP page:

Name for dialing: Erols
Connection name: pop.erols.com
Phone number: 301.917.8111
user name: dcjohan
password: correctly installed

Connection parameters page:

Profile for server provider:pop.erols.com
Default modem: Sporster

Network Modem ...page:

hardware page ..
type (modem) Device (/dev/ttyS1) name (Sporster)

--------------

When I double click the connection icon at the bottom right of the
desktop here is the output:

--> WvDial: Internet Dialer Version 1.4.1
--> Initializing modem
--> Sending: ATZ
O.K.
--> Sending: AT Q0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 + FCLASS=0
AT Q0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 + FCLASS=0
O.K.
--> Modem initialized
--> Dialing pop.erols.com
--> Sending ATDT 301.917.8111
--> Waiting for carrier
(3 short beeps like do tu do, followed by c 10 seconds then a
normal ring or 2, no more followed by the words in the speaker "I'm
sorry, your call did not go through")

Then I get either a) Busy, Try calling again and a call reattempt, or
b) --> disconnecting at date/time
Caught Signal 15! Attempting to disconnect gracefully.

What obvious thing am I missing?

dave

< Previous Next >