Re: [SLE] Re: Microsoft Software Cost Analysis (Was: Re: suse 7.2!!)
  • From: Jay Migliaccio <jam@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:53:01 -0700
* Ben Rosenberg (ben@xxxxxxxxx) [010531 15:59]:

> I'm am pretty sure about the giving away to one's friends thing..but the
> resell thing I am not sure about. I don't remember if people are suppose
> to do this.

The license can be found here:

/usr/share/doc/packages/yast/COPYRIGHT.english

And the one you guys are discussing is section 3:

3. Dissemination
It is forbidden to reproduce or distribute data carriers which
have been reproduced without authorisation for payment without
the prior written consent of SuSE GmbH or SuSE Linux.
Distribution of the YaST programme, its sources, whether amended
or unamended in full or in part thereof, and the works derived
thereof for a charge require the prior written consent of SuSE
GmbH.

Which means that you are free to copy it and give it away, but you
are not permitted to earn money by making copies and redistributing
them.

--
Jay Migliaccio, Product Manager
SuSE Inc., 580 Second St., Suite 210, Oakland CA 94607, USA