Re: [SLE] Info re supported hardware
  • From: Paul Abrahams <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 20:15:31 -0400
Philipp Thomas wrote:

> * Paul Abrahams [Sun, 06 May 2001 10:20:38 -0400]:
>
> >My hard drive claims to be ATA100; the motherboard claims UDMA 33/66 IDE. I'll
> >admit that I know nothing of the relationship between ATA and UDMA, but I had
> >assumed that the numbers were comparable, especially since most hard drives seem
> >to be ATA66. Can you enlighten me?
>
> Yes, they're used interchangeably. BTW, what hard drive is it exactly?
> But just try to run 'hdparm -tT /dev/<your disk>' (and please post the
> output :). If you get Numbers below 66 MB/sec (and *no* currently
> available hard disk even comes near that), it won't get any faster when
> connected to a ATA100 controller.

Well, there are two numbers, one above 66MB/sec and one below:

root@suillus:/aux/home/pwa > hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 1.10 seconds =116.36 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 2.03 seconds = 31.53 MB/sec

I'll see what happens when I attach the controller.

> So if you've bought the controller for higher speed, you've wasted your
> money. But at least you've now got two more ATA channels, so you can run
> four ATA devices as master on their own channel. Running ATA devices as
> master on their own channel is always the best way to attach them as
> that will give you the most speed when talking to them in parallel (like
> installing from CD) and will avoid trouble.

That's good to know.

Paul

< Previous Next >