Re: [SLE] Info re supported hardware
  • From: Paul Abrahams <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 22:28:50 -0400
Curtis Rey wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: pwa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pwa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Paul Abrahams
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2001 2051
To: SuSE listserve
Subject: Re: [SLE] Info re supported hardware

Ben Rosenberg wrote:

> Yep it's supported. The ATA100 controller that has my IBM Deskstar 30G
> which is /home is on this chipset. I have an Asus A7V which has ATA66
> and ATA100 controller chipsets. It's cool. I have 3 devices on the ATA66
> controllers and 2 on the Promise ATA100 controller..very sweet. :)
>
> umm..what else do you need to know :)

Since the controller is a separate card, once I connect my hard drive to
it, the motherboard no longer sees it directly. So what if anything do I
need to do to configure Linux prior to installing the card so that Linux
will start properly?

> What mobo are you using. I know that you can set the kernel to boot
> offboard controllers.
> You might also have to make some bios changes.

I'm using a Tyan S2390 motherboard. Do I need to rejigger the kernel before
I take my computer apart to install the ATA controller?

Paul