Re: Segmentation Fault (fwd)
  • From: "Th3 Hav3n's Keeper" <hotshady@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 12:11:38 +0300 (EAT)
thanks all for u're ideas, and the elimination of kapm-idled. so that
leaves me with either a buggy kernel or inefficient CPU cooling. i dont
know if this is related but i looked through my BIOS settings and i
disabled any APM and power management utils of the BIOS and i havent yet
gotten the problem again. but i sure will try another kernel :p just to be
sure.
thanks!
jorge
Subject: Re: Segmentation Fault

hello all.
i am using SuSE 7.1 Kernel 2.4.0-4GB which runs well except for the
following problem i have encountered.
the system boots up fine and is generally smooth untill after some time,
when i try to run a command like 'ls' or 'cp', it returns 'Segmentation
Fault' and from then on i cant do anything.( eg if i try to login it
refreshes back to the "Login:" prompt after inputing a username) and i am
forced to reboot.
when i run 'top' i find a process called 'kapm-idled' taking up a lot of
CPU usage .. upto 90+ % ! and i cant kill it.
any one got any ideas on how i can over come this problem? i would really
appreciate it.
thanks.
George.

  • No further messages