Re: [SLE] Samba printers under 7.1
  • From: Mark Daglish <Mark.Daglish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:17:18 +0100
"Purple Shirt" on 4th April wrote:

Thank you for the detailed instructions you sent, which I have included
most of below. Unfortunately I am no further forward. I installed the
LPRng from sources from ftp.lprng.com as suggested. I got it to compile
without the "gdbm.h not found" error by installing the gdbm-devel.rpm
from the SuSE 7.1 CD2 (under group 'd' in YAST).

I have set up the symbolic links to /etc/init.d/lprng,
/usr/local/etc/printcap, usr/local/bin/lpr and /usr/local/sbin/lpd but if
I try to install a printer using YAST2 I get an error of "FATAL: YAST2 is
unable to restart the lpd daemon! you don't have lpd installed (LPRold or
LPRng installed)". YAST1 will let me install a samba printer but then
lpq says that lp is not on the local host and if I look in the printcap
file then the line :lp=/dev/null:\ suggests to me that something ain't
right. I did run checkpc -f but checkpc just reports warnings about
ff_separators and nothing else. Also changing the :lp line to
:lp=printerserver.my.domain%9100:\ had no effect.

I wonder if there is a problem because this machine has no local printer
attached to it.

Any further help from yourself, or anybody greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

> Ok,
>
> I don't know the old BSD printing stuff but LPRng always worked for me.
If I
> have trouble with SuSE rpms I wouldn't trust the SuSE source to fix my
> problems. I went for the original source by the author.
>
> I did uninstall lprng.rpm
>
> I pulled down the latest source:
>
> ftp://ftp.astart.com/pub/LPRng/LPRng/LPRng-3.7.4.tgz
>
> ungzip and untar.
>
> Then I did a
>

> ./configure
>

> It wouldn't configure because it complained it couldn't find gdbm.h
file.

> So I did a
>

> rm config.cache
>

> and did
>

> ./configure --disable-gdbm
> make
> make install
>

> Note that this installs the binaries not in the usual SuSE locations.
They
> [...]
>
> /var/spool:
> drwxr-xr-x 3 lp lp 56 Mar 31 14:00 lpd
> drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 35 Apr 3 17:35 samba
>
> /var/spool/lpd:
> drwx------ 2 daemon daemon 273 Apr 3 17:35 smurf
>
> /var/spool/smurf:
> -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 48561 Apr 3 17:35 acct
> -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 0 Mar 31 14:06 control.smurf
> -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 200 Apr 2 17:32 log
> -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 68 Apr 3 17:35 lpq
> -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 9090 Apr 3 17:35 lpq.0
> -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 0 Apr 3 17:35 smurf
> -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 3120 Apr 3 17:35 status
> -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 7635 Apr 3 17:35 status.smurf
> -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 0 Apr 1 20:46 temp00oImtTV
> -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 6 Apr 3 17:35 unspooler.smurf
>

> There is a detailed how to on LPRng at:
>
> http://www.astart.com/LPRng/LPRng.html
>
> mk
>
> PS: my /etc/smb.conf printer section and /etc/printcap file:
>
> #
> smurf:cm=Network Printer smurf:\
> :lp=smurf.mydomain.com%9100:\
> :sd=/var/spool/lpd/%P:\
> :ifhp=model=hp2100,status@:\
> :sh:\
> :filter=/usr/local/libexec/filters/ifhp:\
> :mx#0
>

> #
> <cut>
> [printers]
> path = /var/spool/samba
> print ok = yes
> printing = lprng
> printable = yes
> ; linked to /etc/printcap
> printcap name = /usr/local/etc/printcap
> guest ok = yes
> public = yes
>
> [smurf]
> path = /var/spool/samba
> print ok = yes
> printing = lprng
> printable = yes
> guest ok = yes
> public = yes
> print command = /usr/local/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
> lpq command = /usr/local/bin/lpq -P%p
> lprm command = /usr/local/bin/lprm -P%p %j
> lppause command = /usr/local/sbin/lpc hold %p %j
> lpresume command = /usr/local/sbin/lpc release %p %j
> queuepause command = /usr/local/sbin/lpc -P%p stop
> queueresume command = /usr/local/sbin/lpc -P%p start
>

> >From: Mark Daglish <Mark.Daglish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >To: Purple Shirt <purpleshirt@xxxxxxxxxxx>, suse-linux-e
> ><suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx>
> >Subject: Re: [SLE] Samba printers under 7.1
> >Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 16:14:46 +0100
> >
> >Hi MK,
> >

> > > I discovered this problem the last weekend. The SuSE lprng.rpm is
not
> > > working(at least under 2.4.2-4GB) for sharing samba printers with
> >Windows
> > > clients.
> > >
> > > You must uninstall lprng.rpm and compile your own. See this thread:
> > >
> > > http://lists.suse.com/archives/suse-linux-e/2001-Apr/0139.html
> > >
> > > You do not need to change the Samba rpms. They are working fine.

Ever