Re: [SLE] Compiling the kernel and staying compatable?
  • From: "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 09:31:15 -0600
On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 03:45:53AM -0500, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> Thank you for your advice. I *believe* all I need to do is keep the modules
> which SuSE provides in a place where depmod can find them. The fact of the
> matter is, the last time I compiled the kernel, just about the only module(s)
> that did work was the sound card support. I believe the problem is that my
> build of the kernel is putting things in /lib/modules/2.4.2 and SuSE puts
> them in /lib/modules/2.4.2-4GB. If I could figure out how to build the
> kernel and its modules in such a way as to put everyting in the 2.4.2-4GB,
> that may work. The other option may be to put the SuSE modules in 2.4.2. I
> trust that rebuilding ALSA is *an* option. It just doesn't seem like the
> correct option. I'm trying to research this topic right now. I really don't
> know where to start. The kernel README pointed me to Documents/modules.txt.
> I don't think that will hold all the answers either.

I believe that you can get it to work. There is an option in the modules
section that will let you run modules that were not compiled with the
kernel.

I would just copy the needed *.o files from the default SuSE location,
and then run "depmod -a" while in /lib/modules/linux-2.4.2. If this
doesn't work, then you will have to recompile the said modules.

- v
--
Victor R. Cardona
vcardona@xxxxxxxx

"Behold the keyboard of Kahless, the greatest Klingon
code warrior that ever lived!"