RE: [SLE] SuSE Inc. Lay offs?
  • From: Seth Payne <SPayne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:23:10 -0700
Ok, I have to say something about this pricing issue. Look at all the costs
involved :

Development
Documentation
Marketing
Sales
Tradeshows

None of these things come cheap!!! In fact, they are all VERY expensive.
So please please please stop bitching about a $69 price tag! You get more
in that box than Red Hat offers for $149!!! And in fact, you get some of
the same software Red Hat offers for over $1000!!!

I believe that SuSE is one of the largest contributors to Open Source
devlopment! Do you really expect SuSE to pay the Salaries of Keith Packard,
Alan Robertson, Hans Reiser, Andrea Archangeli and others with a $29 box.

There is no "single point of failure" when analyzing the situation of SuSE
Inc. Certainly, there are things that I believe the German management
should/could have done differently to enable US success but in the end, its
their company and they can do whatever they want to do.

Just my 2 cents.

Seth