Re: [SLE] Greener Pastures Down South (was: Re: [SLE] SuSE Inc. Lay offs? )
  • From: Leah Cunningham <leah@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 19:20:21 -0800
Ah, but there is the smog . . . the never ending smog. Although, it
is not so bad near the beach, that is true. I lived in LA for
almost 3 years, and have been happier with the climate here better.
If I stayed in LA for longer than 5 months with out a vacation
somewhere, I started to get asthma symptoms. The cost of living is
nice, however :-)

Steven Augart (steve@xxxxxxxxxxx) [010207 18:48]:
- > Christopher (and other disgruntled San Francisco Bay residents):
- >
- > How about moving down here and finding a job in Venice Beach or Santa Monica? The weather's better, you don't have to worry about power outages, housing is less expensive. You can live by the beach or in the mountains and still be in the city.
- >
- > Los Angeles has its own municipal utility with excess capacity. The city sells power to the grid at a profit. We Angelenos also don't tend to get as cold as you folks up north do if the heating should happen to be curtailed.
- >
- > (Obligatory disclosure: I have an interest in disgruntled bay area folks coming down south to live among the palm trees. I'm trying to recruit more staff.)
- >
- > --Steven Augart
- > Chief Technology Officer, Sulcata, Inc.
- > Venice Beach, California USA
- >
- >
- >
- >
- > "Christopher D. Reimer" wrote:
- > >
- > > You think that sucks, try living in California with this
- > > Capitalism-inspired deregulation process. The six-story building I worked
- > > in has to cut power by 10% during the power emergency to receive steep
- > > discounts from the power company. So they cut out the heating to the
- > > entire building, and it's freezing when there's a storm or cold wind
- > > outside. On top of that, my company cuts out the overhead lights to save
- > > money on their own energy bills. Now it's dark and freezing most of the
- > > time. I would not be surprised to find out if SuSE laid off people
- > > because it couldn't pay it's power bill.
- >
- > --
- > To unsubscribe send e-mail to suse-linux-e-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxx
- > For additional commands send e-mail to suse-linux-e-help@xxxxxxxx
- > Also check the FAQ at http://www.suse.com/support/faq
- >

I can't believe it's not UNIX!!!
SuSE Inc. | Precision-Engineered Linux
Leah Cunningham | PPC QA, Business Support &
| QA & Development, et al.
580 2nd Street, Ste 210 | PH: 510.628.3380
Oakland, CA 94607 | FAX: 510.628.3381