Re: [SLE] SuSE Inc. Lay offs?
  • From: jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 20:09:07 -0500
**strings of ones and zeros arranged themselves into a message from Lewie Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxx> on Wed, 7 Feb 2001 15:30:29 -0800 (PST)
which said...

**This is really off-topic, but to be fair, California's
**deregulation was everything BUT deregulation. The whole
**scheme was devised by liberals, goaded by special interests.
**As I understand the main problem, the state Public Utilities
**Commission prevented the utilities from buying power via
**long-range contracts, instead requiring that they buy on the
**inflated spot-market. Ironic that the state government now
**is trying to save our bacon with long-range contracts.
**
**Harumph!
**Lew Wolfgang

And far far worse in my book, for at least 25 years all new powerplants have
either been refused persmission , stopped before completeion, or defeated before
they got off teh ground. AS folks used to say in the Pre Dark ages , "let teh
Bast*rds freeze in the dark." If you refuse to build any power plants , in spite
of double digit population growth, what should you expect for future supply
????? It's much the same w/ thier water problems... For as long s I can
rememebr there have been roughly 10 year drought/flood cycles, has anyone even
proposed, much less built new resevoirs???? Nope, better to squeeze people on
both ends of the cycle.OR so it seems. More political milage crying about teh
high prices the "poor" will have to pay for Power /water etc.

All of which is NOT to say some of the price gouging was in any way fair. It
was the law of supply tho. they had it, California NEEDs it , ergo, price goes
waaaaaay up.

perhaps the lessons are less about the true market place pricing, which the
leftwardly folk have no desire to see succeed . than about the various groups of
folks who believe only they have the solutions for this small(ish) planet ,
reguardless of Political leanings, no one has a lock on total understanding, or
even any idea at all what is going to happen next w/ Mother Nature . Not even
those folks who call themselves scientists for the UN... ( and who are in dire
need of a decent pr person to tell them NOT to put out their dire predictions
for next week in a period of freeszing colkd and snow, it tends to make folks
doubt their veracity, or at lesat their intelligence.<heavy sigh>

Best bet, since this world WILL die , either try to find a plan to "save our
SUN" or find a way to get off the planet, to somewhere safe, and to get enough
of the populatioins off as well, in order to have an Earth2 succeed. ( diversity
in the population is what keeps us going now. Otherwise , as Major Kusinagi
said, we all become predicatble w/o diversity, and that leads to disaster. (
paraphrasing just a bit )
Just my (US) $.02

afterthought: "Don't pull dad's finger when he tells you to. " Emily, 10

< Previous Next >