RE: [SLE] losing mouse and keyboard
  • From: Jack Reilly <aa6vn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 18:37:44 -0800
On Mon, 05 Feb 2001, you wrote:
> Yes the Virge/GX2 is supportted in 4.0.
> I do not wish to bad mouth Diamond but I do believe there are a lot of
> problems with some of their vid card using the S3 chips. I have a ViperII
> 2000 which I got because of price and reviews but it gave me nothing but
> problems. Running it in Windows even with the the lastest drivers for no
> apparent reason the screen would freeze, similar to what yours is doing in
> Linux, and I would be forced to use the reset switch. That card is now on a
> shelf gathering dust.
> I would not get a new card yet. Though I now believe that your problem is
> caused by your card and X there are as you have been advised other possible
> reasons.
> One way in which you could verify if the vid card is causing the problem
> is to find a "very good friend" who is using either a ATI Rage 128 or a Riva
> 128 card and borrowing the card long enough to install SuSe and ascertain if
> the freeze still occurs. (I have used a Riva 128 and am using a Rage 128
> card on my linux system so I know that they both work well.)
> Keep me apprised of any progress, or lack there of, which you make and I
> too will coninue in my endeavors and hopefully we will shortly reach the
> proper solution to your dilemma.
>
> Charles (-:

Well, Charles, the problem is that I do not have any good friends young enough
to even know about linux. Most of those who are still around can barely
operate a computer. In fact the only guy I even know who uses linux is the son
of a young friend but he is now working 400 miles from here. But I will go
down to the local computer shop tomorrow and see what I can promote. I'll
let you know.

Thanks again....Jack

< Previous Next >