Re: [SLE] Browser war hots up!!
On Saturday 03 February 2001 06:53, Mike wrote:
> Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've made copies of all the install
> CD's from SuSE. Not a problem. It works every time. I've done this
> with 6.3, 6.4, and 7.0 most recently. Either you don't know how or
> you are trolling. I only do copies of the 1st 2 CD's as they are
> usually the most used here, and I prefer to keep the originals
> safe.

I doubt if Cliff is a troll, Mike. Some folks have a harder time
installing Linux (including SuSE) than others. Some have
periods of bad luck. At other times hardware problems
unknowingly cause problems which are then attributed to
SuSE or the app doing the crashing.

I've been using SuSE since 5.3 and I've installed every distro
that SuSE has released since then. I learned in 5.3 that the
most critical part of the setup is the proper choice of x-server
and monitor settings. Most problems I've seen on this mail
list appear to me to be related to missettings of the x-server or
monitor. This is expecially true when users complain of apparent
keyboard and mouse lockup and feel the only thing to do is
cycle the power. Once they learn about ALT-Fx these problems
diminish. If the hung box is part of a net and remote ftp is allowed
control is often regained by remote login. But, far and away, the
x-server and monitor settings are most critical.

Since 5.3 I've NEVER had YaST fail to make a perfect
install or ungrade, depending on which route I took at the time.

I've had trouble from time to time adding packages from other
sources, and some packages, like BibleTime, which used to run
fine under KDE1, I can't get to run under KDE2, yet. Also, I need
to use OSS sound because of the age of my sound chips. KDevelop
worked perfectly under KDE1 but isn't up to snuff in KDE2. Quanta+
worked great under KDE1 but didn't under KDE2 for awhile. It works
fine now, except for a bug in the file to website upload code, which
prevents uploading.

These are all transient problems with specific packages. SuSE,
however, has been and is a rock. This is why I stay with SuSE.
Jerry

--
"God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a
nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a