Network dies under file transfer...
  • From: "Christopher D. Reimer" <creimer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:40:36 -0800
Greetings!

If I transfer 150MB+ of files from Windows 98 machine to my file server using Samba, the network on the file server will occasionally die and a reboot is needed to restart the network. I always thought this was a Windows/Samba problem. When I transfer 150MB+ using FTP, the network will most definitely die. Anybody know what this could be?

I'm using a SuSE 6.3 distribution, the standard 2.2.18 kernel with the 0.90 RAID and 3.5.29 ReiserFS patches, on a Cyrix M2 PR-333MHz, 64MB, MVP4 motherboard, and a Netgear FA310TX (tulip) NIC. Most of the network options are off in the standard kernel, and I only have a few turned on that are directly relevant to this particular machine. (It's a file server, not a router.)

Thanks!

Christopher Reimer