Sendmail help rqd
  • From: fountai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Derek Fountain)
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 13:46:11 +0000

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 13:46:11 +0000
From: Derek Fountain <fountai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Sendmail help rqd

This is off topic so perhaps a private reply would be in
order...

I have sendmail running on my box using the config a friend
helped me set up on an old RHL-5.1 distro years ago. It
works so I keep using it. I've never managed to get SuSE's
sendmail config to work properly.

My emailer is Netscape Communicator and it all works fine. I
point Netscape at "localhost" for its outbound mail server
and delivery happens immediately I hit the send button,
offline or online. Obviously the local sendmail stores the
emails until it goes online and can send them on to my ISP.

Here's the problem: Microsoft Outlook. A few people I send
email to use Microsoft Outlook, and Outlook always offers
the default reply address for my emails as
"derek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", which is the machine on my
network which acts at the mail server. Every other email
client gets the reply address correct. OK, so it's crap MS
software doing the wrong thing to get the reply address; the
question is can I reconfigure my sendmail any differently so
Outlook users don't have this problem?

All this is at home so I can't attach my sendmail.cf at the
moment. If anyone would like to see it, I could forward it.

  • No further messages