Re: [SLE] Official word from SuSE about Perl, please?
  • From: grimmer@xxxxxxx (Lenz Grimmer)
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 12:44:34 +0100 (CET)

Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 12:44:34 +0100 (CET)
From: Lenz Grimmer <grimmer@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [SLE] Official word from SuSE about Perl, please?

Hi,

this is by no means an "official" word...

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Greg Thomas wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Geordon VanTassle wrote:
>
> > The latest version of perl is 5.6.0 and the one distributed with SuSE is
> > 5.005_03
> >
> > Are there any plans to issue an update for Perl? I know that this question
> > has come up on the list but there has not been (as I could see) any
> > official (or even semi-official) word from SuSE about it.
>
> I believe there has been a message here from Lenz or Phillip stating
> that 5.6 breaks some of their pre-existing scripts. This has also
> been mentioned by others on this list since.

This was one of the reasons, yes. We did not say, that Perl 5.6 _will_
break the scripts, we simply were not 100% sure and wanted to test this a
bit before.

In addition to that, some of the installed perl modules have to be
rebuilt, too, since might stop functioning with the new Perl version.

However, by popular demand, you can now download an RPM for SuSE Linux 7.0
(i386) from here:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/grimmer/RPMS/perl-5.6.0-27.i386.rpm

As you can see from the location, this is not an official update - do not
come back to me and whine about broken stuff. You have been warned - use
this at your own risk. I have not tested it in any way, I just rebuilt the
RPM in a 7.0 build environment.

Bye,
LenZ

Lenz Grimmer SuSE GmbH
mailto:grimmer@xxxxxxx Schanzaeckerstr. 10
http://www.suse.de/~grimmer/ 90443 Nuernberg, Germany
Ok! I'm weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.