Re: [SLE] help please - unbootable
  • From: chris.reeves@xxxxxxxxx (Chris Reeves)
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 09:06:32 +0000

Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 09:06:32 +0000
From: Chris Reeves <chris.reeves@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [SLE] help please - unbootable

Francesco wrote:

> Unfortunately the installed system will no longer boot. My
> data is intact (can mount /dev/hda4 through the rescue
> system). Cannot mount /fd0 though as 'special device does
> not exist'. My problem now is that cannot get a bootable
> system and at same time cannot install without formatting
> hda (which want to avoid until have salvaged some of
> /dev/hda4/home/fgs). WHere to now?

Use a YaST install to go as far as partitioning your hard drive, and
create that single /home partition I mentioned earlier (or a /boot
partition in front of it as well if you want). When you've moved onto
the next YaST dialog box, switch to another console and find a bash
prompt (Alt-F3 I think). Format the new /home partition. Assuming the
new partition is /dev/hda2 (it may not be), use the command 'mke2fs
/dev/hda2'. Then you can use that same shell to create a mount point and
mount the partition. Then you can copy your files over as before.

Isn't it amazing that Windows can cause so much trouble even when you're
running Linux...

Hope that helps again,
Chris

--