Re: [SLE] Balsa, mahogany, kmail...Summing up

From: Niels Stenhoj <stenhoj@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 23:12:29 +0100
Subject: Re: [SLE] Balsa, mahogany, kmail...Summing up

Hi Corvin!

On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Corvin Russell wrote:

| Perhaps someone at SuSE could note the volume of response to
| this issue and the relative consensus on it. It seems it would be in
| everyone's interest if the linux companies created a joint project to
| make a good email client -- or just funded one of the existing
| projects so that it could get the job done. Even OSS benefits from
| good project management and clear goals, as SuSE has shown us.
|
| Best,
|
| Corvin

Right now, I'm using KMail belonging to the KDE2 package despite running
KDE1. It works fine, almost as good as Netscape Messenger in Windoze.
I miss the possibility of sending BCC's. Kmail might be THE project you are
asking for. For those who are OE fans, of course, it might be a good idea to
establish a project of making an LX-OE.

In general many refrain from turning to Linux, because Linux doesn't have
IE and OE. IMHO, the browser issue is bundled with the mail client issue.
Netscape seems to be incapacitated regarding producing obedient code.
The browser works fine until Messenger is set up. After that it's useless
on a machine with a dial up connection charged per minute.

You are right. There are meaningfull projects to attend to.

Cheers,

Niels