Re: [SLE] Netscape 6
  • From: dmarkh@xxxxxxxxxx (Mark Hounschell)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:21:44 -0500

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:21:44 -0500
From: Mark Hounschell <dmarkh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [SLE] Netscape 6

Thomas Bishop wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, amircea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > It installed all right on my machine with 6.4. Could it be a
> > memory problem ?
> > Konqueror works well too.
> > On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 09:21:00PM -0800, Greg Thomas wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anybody gotten Netscape 6 to install on SuSE 6.4? netscape-installer
> > > seg faults on me. I really need a browser that doesn't crash on the Java
> > > applets I need to use for work. If I can't get Netscape to install is
> > > there any other Linux browser out there with good Java support? KDE2's
> > > browser, maybe?
> >
> > --
>
> I had it installed once in 7.0, but when I went back to 6.4, it always got to
> installing 10/11 and died. I burned up a lot of internet hours trying to get
> it, as have others. Have yet to get it installed in 7.0 again....same problem.
> Someone posted something about getting the tarball instead of using
> netscape-installer, but I never found it. I think persistence pays off, but I
> know I'm done trying. May just order the CD. It was nice, but crashed too
> often to be the browser of choice, anyway.
> My $0.02.
> --

I'm running it on 6.4 ok. I couldn't get the installer to do it right
so I downloaded the whole package and installed it from local files.
On the web site you have 2 choices, just the installer or the whole
package+installer. The later of the 2 worked great for me with 6.4.
Installed it in /opt/netscape6...

--
Mark Hounschell
dmarkh@xxxxxxxxxx