RE: [SLE] mac osX The end of Linux?

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:55:49 +0100
From: Maarten Sneep <sneep@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [SLE] mac osX The end of Linux?

Hi all,

Won't say much (look at my mailer ;-)
Try to get signal-to-noise back on track after this!

>fast as
>Linux. It's also closed source (at least parts of it), so it can't be easily
>compiled for performance. And, depending on whether you agree with Linus
>or not, a
>microkernel might not be a good thing.

Although Mac OS X is based on the mach microkernel, the BSD kernel layer is
compiled into the same address-space as the microkernel, thus creating a
mixture between a true micro-kernel and a monolithical kernel. At the same
time the messages and ports from mach are still available. Mixing the BSD
kernel layer with the mach layer may not be wise (if you separate them BSD
may crash, without affecting the mach layer, here they can both go down).
But the Mach layer provides very little support for the rest of the system,
most of that is done by the BSD layer, which means to the end-user that
there is no difference between bsd going down and a complete systems
failure. The speed improvements are bigger than the theoretical increase in
instability.
I have yet to crash Mac OS X

>> Have you tried the new development environment under osX - Objective C
>> kicks ass!
>
> Nope. Sounds nice, although, I bechya that Linux still will attract more
>developers. I mean you have a free toolkit and DE (QT and KDE), free IDE's
>(KDevelop and QTDesigner), and loads of free debuggers! Better yet, many are
>precompiled and ready to go in Linux.

The development system under OS X is beautiful. Every Linux developer
should take a look at it, since the tools behind them really are the
familiar gcc and gdb (and a few more, make or jam, ...). The interface is
well ddesigned, largely without manual you can write and debug you
command-line tools. The interfacebuilder is great, although a manual would
be nice there (Still learning)

Interfacebuilder is really nice, because it ties in with the rest of the
developement system so well: you draw you interface and the code needed to
support it is there, precompiled in the objects. Adding your own support
logic is easy, interfacebuileder writes the templates you have to fill out.

I have yet to master the 5-minute-wordprocessor-with-spell-checking-demo.

>> > 2.) Linux has the ability to go to a command prompt for trouble
>>shooting.
>> > and the number one reason why Linux won't be done away with by MacOS....
> Gasp! Macs actually have a command prompt now?!?

As 'MacWorld' put it: (http://macworld.zdnet.com/2000/09/14/unix.html)
[begin quote]
You know there's revolution in the air when the following can be typed into
an operating system built in Cupertino and execute flawlessly:

dig @138.195.138.195 goret.org. axfr | grep '^c....*A' | \
sort | cut -b5-36 | perl -e 'while(<>){print pack("H32",$_)}' |
gzip -d

Put that in your GUI and smoke it.
[end quote]

BTW: has anyone an idea what on earth this does?

>> If Apple is smart... and let's remind ourselves that Jobs is back in
>> control... they will eventually release osX for numerous platforms.
>
> It would be interesting if they did.

Don't hold your breath, they actually make money from their hardware.

Greetings,

Maarten Sneep