Re: [SLE] mac osX The end of Linux?
  • From: corvinr@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Corvin Russell)
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 00:04:00 -0500

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 00:04:00 -0500
From: Corvin Russell <corvinr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [SLE] mac osX The end of Linux?

Somebody was wondering about shell scripting with Mac. tcsh is part of the
OS-X base installation (btw Darwin, the OS-X kernel, will eventually be fully
ported to the Intel architecture. It is open source, so you don't have
to buy a Mac to use it). Perl is provided at the "unix layer" and Python
compiles cleanly. Familiar gnu tools like emacs are also bundled. At
this level, OS-X is basically just another *nix. If it works on
NeXTSTEP or BSD, it probably will work on Darwin, and probably will
have been ported by the time of the official release.

project off, it will be a really nice OS... I will definitely be
getting a Mac when it is released. I don't like the jolly rancher
interface, but this can be toned down.

Corvin

--
Corvin Russell <corvinr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>