Re: [SLE] Wireless NIC's on Linux
  • From: stewb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Stew Benedict)
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:52:55 -0500

At 03:32 PM 10/30/2000 -0000, Surjit.Bains@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Has anyone had any experience with Wireless NIC's on SuSE...
>>
>> In Particular the PCI versions of these cards...

Just finished an install of a wireless setup, not on SuSE though, but I
don't think it makes much difference. Search Google-Linux for wireless
network, and there are some very good resources. I ended up with a pair of
older Compaq 2Mbps PCMCIA cards with PCI adapters, they use the Harris
Prism chipset. It's perceptionally just as fast as the 10Mbps PCMCIA card
I had in my notbook, and now I can leave the house!

I ended up compiling the pcmcia drivers and the wlan drivers, and on my
server, I had to build a new kernel. On the laptop I was already using
pcmcia, and kept the same kernel. SuSE may even already have that stuff
setup, I should check it out on my 7.0 install.

Stew Benedict