Re: [SLE] Replacing MS/Exchange
  • From: wfullam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (wfullam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 10:35:19 -0500

In <39FBE8C7.A9B92F18@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 10/29/00
at 07:07 PM, Don Hansford <donh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>[Although it is not free (bummer) Lotus Domino is available for Linux,
>[you can get a demo at www.lotus.com.

There is no Notes Client for Domino Notes Linux at this time, just the
server product. I would very much love to see a mail client and the
Designer product made available for the Linux platform.

Lotus is moving to some new products that may allow access via a Web
Browser, so that may be an option. Databases can easily be configured for
Web access, just look at Lotus's web site.

If more businesses request the mail client, Lotus may pay more attention.
It is a very powerful "groupware" product.

A Windows Client could be run via VMWARE for instance as one alternative.

Other thoughts:

Does anyone use StarOffice in this way? I know it has the ability to
access mail and has calendar and scheduling.

What about KDE2? I am just starting to explore its offerings but there may
be something there.