[SLE] 2.2.16 Compile

I know that this has been raised before but I don't seem to see a solution...

Basically when running a 2.2.16 kernel, I get lots of char-major-4 warnings

The thing that confused me, is its trying to look in lib/modules/2.2.14.........
I have looked in /sbin/init.d/boot and line 233 is thus :-

for i in $MODULES_DIR /* $MODULES_DIR /*/* /etc/conf.modules' do

now it doesn't mean a lot to me but surely it should be modules.conf ?
I did try and change it to modules.conf but it didn't seem to make much
difference however I think theres something amiss which is causing the look up
of 2.2.14 modules rather than 2.2.16 (I have checked the link etc to
/usr/src/linux)

If anyone is better acquainted with startup scripts they may be able to shed
some light ?

Pete

ps. I only want 2.2.16 so I can patch it for USB and get my webcam working -
whens 2.4 due out ?