Re: [SLE] Use Local Support Database at 7.0
  • From: juergen.braukmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx (juergen.braukmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 21:03:30 +0200

Togan Muftuoglu wrote:

> juergen.braukmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > Hi Togan,
> >
> > also check the unix file permissions in the "dokumentation" tree. they
> > should be 755 for directories and 544 for files.
> > This includes directories in the path *to* the server root. I think I
> > came across a similar problem, in fact, I've seen this sort of problem
> > so frequently (most with ~/public_html) that I forgot where and how.
> >
> > Juergen
> >

> Hi Juergen ,
>
> thanks for the quick prompt. Since I am really upset with the hardware
> and the software problems I am getting at the moment (including the bad
> CD # 3 which most people have the same) is there way (probably there
> is) may be defining at /etc/permissions file which directory has what
> permissions and files have what permissions. If there is could you give
> me a KISS approach as it has been an awful day so far

better use /etc/permissions.local for that, since it will all be gone
with the next update. You realy get me searching now. ;-)

I got problems finding my way through the system in terms of "where is
what"
ServerRoot "/usr/local/httpd/htdocs"
all dirs up to that 755

there is a symlink "doc". it's a relative link to /usr/doc (that too
755) I'd say all dirs below that to 755, all files to 644. Sadly there
are a few symlinks again, I did no clean install but an update.
Digging through my system I vague remember that the location of
documents changed from /usr/doc to /usr/share/doc. Under that, I find
the susehelp system, but I do not find the link to it. The links are
displayed in the browsers status line. In your situation, I'd try to
find the first breaking link and compare it with the real position and
permits. It could also be a symlink that points nowhere.

As you see, I am as confused as I sound above, but I am left with a
working system.

> Probably you are right with the permission as I am unable to get
> permissions for /usr/local/man as normal user but root can access it.

Is it in your manpath???

> How come a fresh installation can break so many things is something I do
> not understand

I had some other faults. Did a fresh install on my laptop and was
impressed how good it went. No serious or remembereable problems there.
The help system looks working. I might be wrong with my idea of
permissions...

Juergen