[SLE] Re: Re: Compiling Kernel????
  • From: tomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx (S.Toms)
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 12:44:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Jerry VB wrote:

jv> "S.Toms" wrote:
jv> >
jv> > On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Jerry VB wrote:
jv> > Which SB-16 card are you using? I've got an SB-16 card in another of my
jv> > systems, with the following configuration within the kernel config which
jv> > works quite well.
jv>
jv> I've got the Sound blaster 16 ISA-PNP. I don't use it in PNP mode though
jv> because I also have NT 4.0 that I use once in a great while.
jv>
jv> My main problem is that every time I try to compile kernel
jv> linux-2.2.16.SuSE-21 no modules are created for the sound card. When I
jv> look in the /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc folder, after doing the compile and
jv> the make modules, make modules_install, there are no snd-card-...
jv> modules in there! Therefore when the kernel boots, of course it can't
jv> load snd-card-sb16 because it doesn't exist. Either something is wrong
jv> with the kernel or I don't have the right version of some compiler for
jv> modules. I don't know, I'm very new to this.
jv>

Almost sounds like your selecting the sound to be built into the kernel
rather then into modules, verify that the selection your making is <M> for
modules in the sound selection section. If that's the case, then uncomment
the snd options in your conf.modules file.
Also, send me your .config file so I can take a look at it, if you don't
mind.

jv> Thanks,
jv> Jerry
jv>
jv>

--
S.Toms - tomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx - www.primenet.com/~tomas
SuSE Linux v7.0+ - Kernel 2.2.17

If life is a stage, I want some better lighting.