Re: [SLE] Compiling Kernel????

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Jerry VB wrote:
> Hello SuSErs,
>
> I'm trying to learn how to compile my own kernel. I currently have a
> stock 6.4 installed. I am trying to compile kernel linux-2.2.16.SuSE-21.
> I can get it to boot up, but every time it boots I get three types of
> error messages:
> 1) something about it can't find char-major-4;

Check /etc/conf.modules Char-major-4 is serial. You chose
builtin instead of module. No real problem. If you want it that way
just comment out the line in conf.modules

> 2) devpts on /dev/pts failed; and

You likely failed to select devpts. Go back and select it and
recompile. FS section I think.

> 3) can't locate module snd-card-sb16.

Likely the same sort of thing.

> Can anybody help, I'd like to learn how to sucessfully compile kernels.

Your only problem is you missed a couple of options. Nothing
serious. Just go back and select the ones you missed. After you've
done it a few times it becomes second nature.

Nick