Re: [SLE] multiple distro installation
  • From: okh-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (okh-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 01:55:53 +0200 (CEST)

Mark wrote a lot about using a single /boot partition
for several distros.

Thanks for an interesting read. It fit quite nicely along with
what I thought ought to work.

One thing I also thought about, however, was putting
the actual lilo.conf in /boot and having /etc/lilo.conf
be a symbolic link to the actual file in all distros.

This would of course require mounting the partition as /boot
in all distros, but that would also make it easier than
having to reboot to your default distro, copying stuff
and running lilo each time you make a new kernel.
(I know you can compile a kernel for RH on SuSE,
but you might want to compile a RH-patched one for RH
and a SuSE-patched one for SuSE.)

Another consideration is initrd for allowing modules
required for booting. If someone is using this, an
additional file would have to be copied.

To avoid making too much of a mess, perhaps each distro
should have its own subdirectory in /boot.

Well those where my 2 cents or whatever currency you accept.

Regards

Ole