RE: [SLE] Why HP printer is shifting each line to the right?

The staircase effect is dealt with in the german SDB on the
distribution, at /usr/doc/sdb/de/html/ke_staircase.html.
There are basically two solutions, it says:

1. Adjust printer to the right convention, by the printer's dip
switches or menu.
2. Set the variable PRINT_RAW_SETUP_PRINTER in file /etc/apsfilterrc to
the right value; see the detailed description in this file.

My findings are that
cat <filename> > /dev/lp0
creates the staircase effect, but lpr works fine.

Sjors