RE: [SLE] Installing via NFS
  • From: david.bottrill@xxxxxxxxxxxx (David Bottrill)
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 19:46:32 +0100

Hi

> We are attempting an install via NFS. This works as long as we
> don't need to change CDs. If we have to move to CD 2 then the
> system that is being installed gives an error that the correct CD
> isn't mounted.
> Steps followed on the NFS server:
> umount /cdrom
> mount /dev/hdc /cdrom
> Distribution is SuSE 6.4.
>
> Can do a ls on the NFS server /cdrom and get files. If we
> manually do a mount on the remote system then we do not see files
> (mount -t nfs xxx.xxx.xx.xx:/cdrom /mnt )
> Obviously we missed something along the way... Any ideas??
>
> Related question. If we wanted to copy the CD's down to a
> directory structure on the server (example:
> /usr/local/installs/suse64/ )
> do we just need to do a straight copy of the contents of the
> /suse directory of the CDs or are there extra files (like
> contents, etc) that need to be copied?
>
> Any advise or pointers to where we may have missed something in
> the manual are appreciated.

I had a similar problem last week whilst installing onto a old laptop with
no cdrom drive.
If you are running SuSE 6.4 you can use the command "rcnfsserver stop" then
you should be able umount the CD, change it, mount it and then type
"rcnfsserver start" to restart NFS.

Also if you make any changes to /etc/exports then "rcnfsserver restart" will
stop and start the NFS server and hence register the export changes.

I hope this helps.

David Bottrill