[SLE] routing problem
  • From: mcw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Matthew Wiener)
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 09:28:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all. I've almost got everything working, but my ppp connection has a
weird, and very inconvenient problem. Once it starts up, I can get to any
machine (including resolving names and so on) except those on my own
subnet! Very inconvenient. Here's as much information as I know how to
give:

my route.conf file looks like this:

xxx.xx.xxx.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.254.0 eth0
xxx.xx.xxx.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.254.0 ppp0

The two addresses are the same, because I'm trying to connect to the same
place at the end. Ethernet works fine, by the way. I set things up this
way based on some messages on this list a while ago (before I joined).

When I first start up using wvdial, the command "route" gives the
following:

Dest Gateway Genmask Flags .... Iface

xxx.xx.xx.x * 255.255.255.255 UH ppp0
tel156.40.248.0 * 255.255.254.0 U eth0
loopback ... U
default xxx.xx.xx.x 0.0.0.0 UG ppp0

That "tel" in the second line is interesting -- I suspect it's relevant,
but I don't know what to do with it.

Now, as I said, I can do anything except access the machines I most want
-- those on my own subnet. If I try to telnet for example, I get the
message "no route to host".

Now if I try rcroute restart, I get an error message:

Error while executing:
/sbin/route del -net xxx.xx.xxx.0 netmask 255.255.254.0 dev ppp0
SIOCDELRT: No such process
Shutting down routing failed

Now my route table is just as before, but with the eth0 line above no
longer present. And I can get to anything.

If I remove the ppp0 line from /etc/route.conf, the same thing happens
except that after the error I still can't get to my own machines.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt Wiener