Re: [SLE] SuSE 7 Deluxe
  • From: mha@xxxxxxxx (Michael Hasenstein)
  • Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 21:50:40 -0700

"Timothy R. Butler" wrote:

> Hi Michael,
> I'm curious, what is the MSRP for the update version and the full pro versions?

$69.95 for the Prof. Edition. Don't know about the Update edition. It
would be at about the same price as the current 6.4. In Germany people
get more for less (compared to 6.4) when they get the Update Edition, if
one doesn't care for the support and the manuals. The German price for
the Update edition is less than the price for 6.4, and you actually get
more because you now get the DVD also. The missing manuals should be no
factor for most people, esp. any update-buyers, you have the pdf version
on CD if you like it (actually, I think I like the new revised manual a
lot ;-) ).

> I'm curious how much it will retail at CompUSA or Best Buy which currently sell
> the $49 SuSE 6.4 for $20-$30. I really like the new DVD and CD combination idea,
> if nothing else, you could give someone else the CD-ROM copy to get them started
> with Linux...

Well, we'll have to wait and see... I don't know if we sell the update
edition via retail. That would be three different editions, I don't
think the stores let us do that, so it's possible you'll have to get the
update edition from us. I'm not sure, so don't kill me (why, anyway? but
one never knows), I'm just reasoning about what the retailers will let
us do and what not.

> BTW, Michael Smith said he heard that SuSE 7.0 might include a VMWare license -
> is there any official word on this yet (I wasn't sure from what he wrote if he
> meant he heard a rumor or if it was confirmed)?

See my prev. mail. VMware is sold for $299. While we certainly like the
idea of having a $69 box including a full license of it, I don't think
vmware will share this feeling. I really don't think so, we can't do
miracles!

--
Michael Hasenstein
http://www.suse.de/~mha/