Re: [SLE] Vmware crashing
  • From: heroron@xxxxxxxxx (Ron Heron)
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 08:46:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I, too have had huge problems with VMware hardlocking
the system. My previous version 6.3, I had upgraded
each time vmware had an upgrade, and it seems that the
last version prior to 2.0 didn't crash my system.
When I upgraded to 2.0 adn 2.01, I started having
crashes again. I opened a ticket with VMware, and
they told me to send my dmesg output. Well, on 90% of
the crashes, it didn't write anything to the message
log. Once, it wrote a "kernel dereferrence to a null
pointer" message. But, VMware had already closed my
case by then.

Now, I am on 6.4, and thought I would give VMware
another try. I was halfway through loading Win2k,
when I hard locked again. It may have something to do
with networking, because there was a huge data
transfer going on via Samba on the same nic.

I was actually a paid up customer on the old versions,
but have since to take the plunge again, after the
lockups. This last crash really killed my hd, and
took almost 4 hours to recover! So, it's a shame, but
I can't risk losing my hd for vmware. If anyone get's
a solid answer or fix, I would love to hear it so I
can use VMware again.

BTW - e2fsck -f -b 8193 /dev/hdxx doesn't work! For
some reason, I had to go e2fsck -f -b 0 /dev/hdxx
(Roman, try this)

Ron

--- David Herbison <david.herbison@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>