Re: [SLE] LinkSys 10/100Mb card and HOWTO
  • From: kline@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Gary Kline)
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 20:26:19 -0700

On Sat, Aug 05, 2000 at 10:52:29PM -0400, Mark Gray wrote:
> Gary Kline <kline@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > A few days ago I bought a 10/100Mb LinkSys ethernet card at CompUSA
> > for my 6.4 Linux system. I have 2 older (10Mb) cards on this home
> > network between my two FreeBSD boxes; they work fine.

[[ ... ]]

> You need to get the very latest ethernet drivers from Donald Becker's
> site at:
>
> http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html
> ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdriver-2.0.src.rpm
>
> It will not work with the old driver (at all). (I bought three of
> these at CompUSA also -- it is a small world.)

I'll second that! and even smaller amongst us
hacker types :)

> You have not got a working card driver loaded yet -- once you have,
> you can use yast to configure and it will work (and you might want to
> take a look at /etc/rc.config to see if there are any more options you
> want to use -- be sure to remember to run SuSEconfig after modifying
> /etc/rc.config or configuring with yast (if it forgets to do so for
> you, as it sometimes will)).

I've downloaded the netdriver-2.0.src and run
rpm -i on the file. Becker's site says that I
have to rebuild the kernel now. Is there some
cheatsheet instruction on howto rebuild and
install the SuSE kernel anywhere? Or can you
give me the cookbook instructions? (eg)

% cd /usr/src/linux
% make kernel; install kernel;
% reboot...