[SLE] LinkSys 10/100Mb card and HOWTO
  • From: kline@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Gary Kline)
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 15:57:53 -0700 (PDT)

A few days ago I bought a 10/100Mb LinkSys ethernet card at CompUSA
for my 6.4 Linux system. I have 2 older (10Mb) cards on this home
network between my two FreeBSD boxes; they work fine. The card is
lit on the 10Mb LED and it my hub shows the connection too, so at
least the hardware connection there seems solid.

But I've having trouble trying to get my new box "suzah.thought.org"
talking to this box, "tao.thought.org" and wonder if any of you
can help me.

Last night I used the YAST tool to configure various network things,
including the ethernet link. No joy. And so far today, likewise,
no luck. I don't see any indication that the Linux system even
sees the card--from dmesg. What should I be looking for? Also,
do I need to install any kernel module?

I have "suzah" designated as 10.0.0.3, but even trying

% telnet 10.3

fails with the error that the "Network is unreachable."

Any network gurus out there?

thanks,

gary kline

--