Re: [SLE] SuSE 7 Deluxe = Professional
  • From: irwanhadi@xxxxxxxxx (Irwan Hadi)
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:13:22 -0600

At 09:53 AM 8/1/00 +0200, Des Aubery wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Michael's link to the SuSE information was extremely useful.
>
>I believe that what SuSE are doing in splitting up the distribution into
>a personal & professional version is actually a very good thing.
>
>I believe that as the Linux OS begins to enter the mainstream, that this
>distinction will clearly become evident. The personal user will still
>get good value for money, with not too excessive documentation, while
>the professional user will be getting additional documentation and
>packages + additional support.
>
> >From my use of SuSE 6.4 i386, I believe that they go to a lot of trouble
>in maintaining their distribution, and writing YAST/YAST2 etc. I find
>these tools invaluable on my workstation - as a central manipulation
>centre. I rarely need to move into the configuration files themselves.
>
>It seems that many of the personal users are more concerned about price,
>and less on service - whilst the profesional user is more concerned
>about getting the system installed and working as smoothly, and quickly,
>as possible - ie. service...

Yeah you right, but eliminating some books on the personal edition is not
too good for me, because actually those who use personnal edition will be
those who need more documentation and not vice versa.

For example, in RedHat Standard 6.2, RedHat only bundled it with one book
(installation guide), and not with the reference and getting started guide.
I believe the one who need reference and getting started guide will be
those who are new users, and not the proffesional users, and new users will
be likely those who buy the standard edition.