RE: [SLE] Bad magic

> From: Tim Shann [mailto:tajcs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]

Hi,

> > I have an old AST Advantage! P60 w/8mb ram and 420 mb hdd. This will
> > become my firewall. Now I am trying to
> > upgrade/install samba-2.0.7.rpm and ssh.rpm (both from suse sites) via
> > yast and I get the following message:
> >
> > "unpacking of archive failed: cpio: Bad magic".
>
> Since nobody had an answer for me, I tried tarballs and failed at gunzip
> (invalid compression data--crc error). Still out of luck. Are the files
> getting corrupted when transfered over my LAN? I send stuff back
> and forth to my Winbox with out any problems. I suppose I could unzip them
> first, then send them. Or, send to the Winbox and burn a cd. I'd rather
> *solve* the problem though.

I am also getting this error on a couple of 'low spec' machines (P90, 8Mb
Ram), I am putting it down to lack of memory, because it does not happen if
I double the memory.

I go around it but putting 64Mb ram in the machine, installing and setting
the box up, and then removing the memory. Bad work around, but it works...

Cheers

Phil